Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

REVIEW: Joe Fresh Matte Lipstick in "Berry"

late last year, i started dabbling with darker lipstick shades. i put aside my corals and pinks and sought out wines and plums.
i picked up Joe Fresh's Matte Lipstick in "Berry" (3.3 g) on a whim - i could not really find any swatches of it online and there was no tester either - so i based my decision solely on the color of the label.
so imagine my surprise when i opened it and found that it was so dark and so purple! there's nothing in my  lipstick collection that even compares to it.

seeing the color of the lipstick, i applied it to my lips with the utmost caution. i breathed a sigh of relief when i saw the color was actually not as scary on!
top to bottom: natural light; with flash

"Berry" is a purple wine color. i don't usually take lip pictures with flash since you can see every imperfection on my face so clearly - it adds depth to my pores like you wouldn't believe... but i wanted to show you that even though this is a matte lipstick, there is actually a slightly shiny finish after you apply it. you can also see how the light reflects off the actual lipstick in the tube in the pictures above.
the lipstick applies easily to your lips too (there's no tugging) but it eventually dries to a matte finish. it doesn't feel overly dry on the lips though (as in i am not frantically searching for a lip balm). the color starts to fade after a couple hours of wear - mainly around the middle of the lips but it does leave a stain behind.

i would suggest a lip liner as well as a lip balm prior to applying this shade. if you look closely, you can see that this lipstick emphasizes the dry patches on your lips. applying the lip balm beforehand will also make the lipstick apply sheerer if you desire a softer look.

i was too afraid to apply more than one layer of it on my lips but on the swatches on my hand, the left swatch is one layer and then i built it up on the right.
natural light; with flash

oddly enough, i decided to google this color to see if it is sold on the Joe Fresh website and found my own link to another Joe Fresh matte lip product - a lip crayon - in almost the same color ("Plum")... which i have almost forgotten about. but what a weird coincidence! maybe i should always google a lip product before purchasing to make sure that i don't already have a similar one...

 Joe Fresh Matte Lipsticks are $6 each at Superstore. when i picked up "Berry", i was also considering "Brick" but can Joe make it any more confusing for a girl?

22 comments:

  1. Oooh, Helen this actually looks really good on you! Granted, I wouldn't wear this everyday, but it's totally not quite as scary on! When I saw it in the tube, I thought it would be way too dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jayne - it is a rather intense color so definitely not something i can wear everyday.
      so thankful it is not as dark as the tube!

      Delete
  2. dark lip colours are my absolute favourite <3
    would you like to follow each other?
    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are indeed fun! but requires more confidence :)

      Delete
  3. So fun to explore different types of colours! isnt it? looks lovely on you :) i am pretty impressed with the quality of joe fresh prodexts. theyre not half bad :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is fun! you should definitely check out more Joe Fresh - i've seen another matte color that i am really considering but it is so BRIGHT!

      Delete
  4. This colour looks great on you Helen! When my no buy is done I think I need to dive deeper into the world of joe fresh cosmetics and not just their nail polishes
    :) Chelsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Chelsey :)
      when i started using Joe Fresh cosmetics, i limited myself to nail polishes too! but they have been rather impressive and affordable so you should definitely give it a try :)

      Delete
  5. This colour looks really pretty :( The Loblaws closet to me (which is still a trek) doesn't carry Joe :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great on you, I still haven't found the courage to try the darker hues on my lips, I think my fair complexion likes nudes/pinks
    Maybe some day I will work up the courage! I have also never tried any of the Joe fresh lip colours, might have to pick one up someday :)

    gl0ssi.blogspot.ca
    150 follower giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Nat :) this color is definitely not for the weak-hearted! but maybe if you start trying some gloss versions first since they tend to be sheerer, you can build up your confidence?

      Delete
  7. I love colours like this for winter :) Is Joe Fresh a Canadian brand?
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it is!
      i've been eyeing a few Australian products too - maybe a future swap ;)

      Delete
  8. Wow such an intense colour! I've never thought of wearing a deep colour like this, but now I'm totally going to look out for one!

    www.closetvoyage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for dropping by Jiawa! :)
      this color is a bit too dark for me, but it is fun to play around with!

      Delete
  9. I've always wondered about these products! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and swatches! Love the colors!

    I also just wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award :)

    http://www.simplyblushed.com/2013/01/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love! I've always been wondering about their lipsticks, I'm going to pick one up this week now! It looks gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe yay! thanks Valerie - which color are you thinking of getting ?

      Delete
  11. I love that colour on you...but I totally cracked up at the last photo!! What the heck!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why thanks aleksandra! haha
      i know hey!? i wonder who does all the labeling!! so confusing!

      Delete

thank you for reading! i appreciate your feedback and i read them all!
have a fantastic day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...