Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2012

POLISHED: Ruby Wing Color Changing Polish in "Sand Dune"

before i get into this post, what is up with everyone receiving their ipsy, Glymm and their Topbox this week!!! i went to my mailbox on Friday thinking that i would have all these new products to play with for the weekend, only to reach in and find absolutely NOTHING (aside from some flyers and of course, the credit card bill). so very empty. inside.

ok, i'm a big girl. i can wait. but there's just so many posts on my blogger feed i have to avoid now... :/

anyhoooooo i've been wanting to try some color changing polish since seeing a Del Sol polish pop up in Jayne's and Margo's unboxing posts of the spring Sweet Delight Divalicious Box.

i absolutely loved the look of the Ruby Wing display when i first laid eyes on it at Winners - it was very enticing with all the nail polishes lined up labelled with little color dots to indicate the color changes of each. also, is it lame if i said i liked the font too?
i immediately went home, only because i knew it would take wayyyy too long if i had to decide what colors i really wanted on the spot.

i returned and with all the willpower i had in me, i purchased ONE Ruby Wing Color Changing Nail Polish (15 mL).

this is "Sand Dune".

i picked "Sand Dune" mainly because i wanted a) a color that i would wear often and b) an obvious color change.
this is the picture from the Ruby Wing website:
Source: Ruby Wing

the indoor color is a coral (you know of my coral obsession) and when you are outside in the sun, it changes to a mulberry shade. i think the actual swatches seem to be more intense (a brighter coral and a darker mulberry) than the pictures indicated.

indoors:
natural light 

artificial light: with flash; without flash

outdoors:

i was in a hurry to take these pictures since i was heading out and the sun was also hiding behind some clouds.
my nails are also on the shorter side since i tend to pick them when i am in awkward social situations...
this was all the sun i needed!

both the indoor and outdoor colors are simply gorgeous - but if you are looking to buy a color changing polish, then i suggest you choose it based mainly on the indoor color, especially if it is winter! the only time i am outside these days is really walking to and from the car. i hardly take the time to notice my nails during this point... i am sure this type of polish would be a lot more fun during the summer.

the color change itself does happen surprisingly quick. i noticed the color change the first day i wore it when i was just standing by the car waiting for my sister to manually unlock my door - i was probably outside for about 60 seconds.

the second time around, i realized that the color actually changed to a deeper mulberry when i was outside in a brighter sun:

outdoors:
natural light 

artificial light (i quickly ran downstairs to take this)

i wore 3 coats - it applied thinly and slightly sheer. 3 coats was almost full opacity - i notice a few streaks if i were to observe my nails closely. the polish had a creme and shiny finish.

5 days after, i still have not experienced chipping. but the edges are looking a bit rough. i am sure if i used a topcoat, the polish would have lasted even longer!

Ruby Wing is the first collection from SolarClub, which is manufactured by the same company who does Color Club. Ruby Wing polishes are 3-free as well as vegan (meaning cruelty-free and does not test on animals). i am highly impressed by their website - the layout is really well done and the logo changes color. the polishes also change color when you hover your mouse over them. Ruby Wing polishes retail at $12 on their website but currently only ship to US addresses. the only place i've seen them at Canada was at Winners, and for $7.99 (yay!). i can't seem to find them on NailPolishCanada.com yet.

i think i'd like to buy "Sweet Rose" next - which ones would you pick up?

20 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to try, but I didn't know how they would look outdoor. I want to try it now! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous colors! I haven't heard of this brand before, thanks for sharing!

    simplyblushed.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this at Winners before, but I never knew it changed colours!


    Now I need it!

    gl0ssi.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that snow? I always get my beauty box late :( living on the far side of the country sucks sometimes!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it is snow! we have plenty of it here hehe :)
      and yes i agree - i live on the west side and most boxes ship from the east

      Delete
    2. Same here haha! Aww I am so jealous of your snow <3
      x

      Delete
    3. awww! has it ever snowed where you live? i find it strange to even think of having snow during Christmas

      Delete
  5. I saw these at my Winners too, but I stopped myself because I can't rely on Vancouver for sun! Have you been in socially awkward situations recently?? Everything ok??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you saw the pic i posted of the sun, then i'm sure it'll work in van! and yes everything's fine! im just not usually comfortable interacting with people i dont know well haha

      Delete
  6. Sucks that you haven't gotten your boxes this week! I got my Ipsy on Wednesday I think. That polish is really cool though, I have seen them as well but never knew that they changed color. If I see them at Winners again, will definitely be picking this up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. got my ipsy today so hooray! let me know what color you choose!

      Delete
  7. I like your blog! Would you like to follow each other? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean, I avoid my blogger feed too until I receive my boxes. lol

    That coral nail polish is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha i got my ipsy and topbox today so time to compare!

      Delete

thank you for reading! i appreciate your feedback and i read them all!
have a fantastic day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...