unfortunately, Glossybox has a reputation for delivering extremely late in the month. and this month was no exception. my June box arrived yesterday on July 3.as usual, however, the box was pretty heavyyy. i took off the lid and noticed that the box was pretty much filled to the brim. if anyone was wondering, i am a V4 (according to Glossybox, there are different versions of the box based on the skin type you selected in your beauty profile). this is quite the list of June's samples:
1) Bioré Combination Skin Balancing Cleanser - this is one of the items weighing the box down! this is a full-sized product and Glossybox took into account my combination skin. i admit i have not tried Bioré products before even though i've heard many many great things about their nose strips. based on one use, i really like the fresh scent and it feels gentle. it comes out as a clear liquid and becomes a foam. i will start using this regularly after my current cleanser is used up.
size: 200 mL (full size!)
retail value: $9.99
2) Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Lotion SPF 55 - ahhh this is one item i would've loved to receive before the long weekend. SPF 55 would've been great for lying in a canoe all day (i did not do much/any paddling). still will be useful for the rest of the summer... and the upcoming Calgary Stampede.
size: 14 mL
retail value: $15.99 (88 mL)
3) Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz Beach Texture Hairspray - it appears that Wella is popping up all over the place! but wait!!! is this a beach texture hairspray?! i am so so so very excited about this product :) i've been wanting to try salt sprays to get beachy waves. i don't think it's possible with my hair but i've wanted to try forever. and another full-sized item? whoohoo!!
i tried it today and found that it gave me the piecey hair look - when your ends are separated into.. pieces? i lack the ability to describe this properly. anyway, about 12 spritzes gave me that look but some of the ends seemed to lie straight. perhaps i need to use more product since i have very thick hair. also i was focused on using this product on my ends only - but then my hair looked super flat on my head so i'd recommend using the hairspray all over. i'll try again tomorrow!
size: 150 mL (full size!)
retail value: $16.99
4) Olay Regenerist Wrinkle Revolution Complex - okay, who thought it would be funny to give me another one of these?? not cool.
size: 7 mL
retail value: $30.99 (50 mL)
5) CoverGirl Blast Flipstick Blendable Lip Duo in "800 Whisper" - i already own one of these from Christmas in the color "Cheeky" which i'll do another post on soon. on FB, it seems like the majority received the color "Minx" which i am glad i did not. the creme side of "Whisper" looks like a pink leaning on purple while the other is a shimmery darker version of it. i forgot how pigmented these Flipsticks are! i like the idea of creating different variations with the two lipsticks, but in reality, i rarely blend lipsticks together. the lipsticks do not have individual names so the clear packaging is useful in that you can see the actual colors (way better than guessing based on its name anyway).
i first tried on the lighter creme side and look at how it brings out the lines on my lips... it is very pigmented and the color is very light and does not complement my skin tone. wayy too frosty of a finish. my bottom lip looks like a very light pink but the rest is lilac-y.
next, i tried on the darker shimmery shade. again i was surprised, but this time at how metallic my lips look. very purple with a golden sheen. egad! look at those lip lines (does anyone still say egad?).
it says "New" on the packaging as well as on the card. i think these have been out for a while now. i'm curious as to when is something "New" not considered new anymore?
i'll have to say that i am not a huge fan of this lip product. although it has great color payoff, it is very drying. i noticed while wearing it that i needed to apply lip balm. but the day after you wear it is the bigger concern - every time i licked my lips, i could feel every single dry patch on my lips. i had to reapply lip balm constantly today. i am also not a huge fan of this color. AND it has a very unnatural taste - like i'm licking chemicals or soap. yuck.
size: 3.8 g (full size!)
retail value: $12.50
6) Gillette Venus Embrace Razor - i see Glossybox has ventured into an area where only Loose Button had been before - razor territory. this one i do not currently have in my stash. i will eventually get through them but i think i am set for the year.
size: 1 razor and 1 cartridge (full size!)
retail value: $13.43
7) **bonus ** Bioré Deep Cleansing Pore Strips - yay! the thing i mentioned in 1). i am excited to try this!
size: 1 pore strip
retail value: $9.99 (8 pore strips)
hmm, as you already know, most of these are drugstore items. but then again, most of them are also full sized. i feel that beauty box services need to find that balance between drugstore and high-end names, especially those that advertise "luxury" items. i enjoy receiving drugstore items since these are usually the items i am able to purchase on my own, but i also enjoy learning about brands i haven't heard before or products i haven't tried. so this box was not a miss for me - i love the Wella hairspray and i'll definitely use the Bioré cleanser, Neutrogena sunscreen and razor on a regular basis.
did you like your Glossybox this month? BB5 review coming shortly!
while you wait, why not enter Topbox's current Vasanti Cosmetics sweepstakes here?